Wednesday, August 31, 2011

WIP Wednesday for 100 Quilts for Kids, and a Travel Handmade linkup

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Whew! Lots to show and talk about this week! I am going to try to format this correctly this week so that we can stay organized....

Ongoing projects:
100 Quilts for Kids QAL- currently doing okay?
A new work in progress, started this week as my project for 100 Quilts for Kids, the charity quilt drive at Swim Bike Quilt. I am following the QAL using the Storytime Squares pattern from Made by Rae. I used some charm squares from my stash for this one, and hope that kids like brown. Will it be okay? I think it will be cute, but hope that the occasional florals will not dissuade a boy from liking it too. 
So I added my second row of piecing last night and saw that I really do need to find/replace my 1/4" quilting foot. My top right squares do not line up, and since I have also somehow misplaced my seam ripper, I am going to have to fix it after a trip to my LQS.

Echino squared inspired quilt for Parisville fabric- progress to quilt top piecing
Posted here previously, now on the wall and possibly I am going to rip up some blocks or replace some with more white space to calm down the crazy. More to come when seam ripper is replaced.

Super large Amy Butler bag- finished
Someday I will get a new camera, I promise. For now, please forgive my poor photos and lighting, I am simply making do with the fact that I rarely finish anything during the day. And forgive my lack of process shots. There is no room for extra brain power to take photos while following an AB pattern. This is the Modern Diaper Bag from Amy Butler's Little Stitches for Little Ones. First off, wow. This bag is gigantic. As I cut out the pattern, this became more and more obvious, but I somehow thought in my delusion that it would get smaller as I sewed it, as if the seam allowances were 5 inches instead of 1/2 inch. 
That being said, I am really pleased with how it turned out, and very pleased with my color and fabric choices. Alas, I did not get to use Ms. Butler's fabrics for the bag, and even more of a bummer, have no idea what this fabric is called or what line it is from, as it came from the stash. 
I do like how the stripes compliment the damask print, and I don't usually work with grey and yellow, but love the way it matches up here. 
I actually gifted this to a friend to use for her baby, as I know she loves a large bag and travels quite a bit. I hope she loves it and gets lots of use out of it!
Travel Handmade with The Sewing Summit

No "real" progress: 
  1. Plans for rest of Kona Poseidon FQs
  2. Plan for pomegranate colorway of Parisville- I am thinking a Kaleidoscope quilt though, using Don't Call Me Betsy's QAL
  3. Plan/start the second quilt top for 100 Quilts for Kids
  4. Start the Little Apples string block quilt top

3 comments:

  1. You're so productive!

    A boy would probably not notice the flower fabric until it was his anyway. ;-) I love the fabric on the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are making me feel so baaaad...I am trying to decide what Quilt to do for 100 Quilts and the more I debate the longer I procrastinate! Hmmm...okay really have to decide now don't I? Thank you for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bag is fabulous! Love the colors. I think your quilt will be great for a little boy!

    ReplyDelete